Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for starting a blog?

Howdy, all.

I'm going to be starting a blog for publishing CTF writeups, walkthroughs, musings etc, and was wondering if you had any tips/tricks/pitfalls/gotchas to share.

I'm mostly wondering what hosting provider you chose and why. I'm open to writing the HTML myself, but some options for templates to start would be nice.

Any and all thoughts welcome.

Thanks!

My original semi-personal blog was built on wordpress, and hosted on a DigitalOcean droplet for simplicity. That was quite a few years ago and with regular updates it's been fine - though it isn't what I'd recommend now.

My new site/blog is aimed to be a little different - I'm currently building it out using Hugo to create a static site, and looking at hosting on Netify, Github Pages, S3, or similar (undecided which yet). Just in testing there's a noticeable performance increase, and the learning curve isn't as steep as I was expecting. With a static site it also means I don't need to give a damn about securing a database or updating any plugins, which is nice.

I did also look at Jekyll, Gatsby, and 11ty, with an option of Ghost as a CMS for generating content. When it came to it though I settled on Hugo as the best fit for me, formatting content with asciidoc. Github Pages and Netify both offer free hosting for something on the level of a personal blog or small site.

Comment

• SenorWatsonSan
      SenorWatsonSan commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome! I had seen chatter about Hugo and the like but was curious about people's experiences. Thank you, this is useful. I'm definitely going to just make it static, so there's nothing to really worry about.

Something to keep in mind is that the energy you have for a side project like a blog is going to be split between creating the content and maintaining the system. My recommendation is to go with a platform (Wix, Wordpress dot com, Squarespace, etc...), not merely a web hosting provider to minimize the effort that you have to put into building and keeping it running. You want to put as much effort as possible into the content, since that is ultimately the value that the site provides.
    -AC

----
    Twitter: @AccidentalCISO
    Blog: https://www.accidentalciso.net/

Comment

• SenorWatsonSan
      SenorWatsonSan commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm...thank you, yes. Keeping disciplined about content vs rabbithole-ing on the nuts & bolts is going to be important.

Have you made any decisions about how you want to build the blog? Let us know when you get something posted!
    -AC

----
    Twitter: @AccidentalCISO
    Blog: https://www.accidentalciso.net/

Comment

• SenorWatsonSan
      SenorWatsonSan commented
      Editing a comment
      So I settled on Wordpress.
      When I become more proficient with actual code I'll likely migrate to a framework like Jekyll or Hugo.

http://anotherverse.io/

It's pretty much stock/boilerplate everything, but it's a start. It's not going to be of much use to anyone for awhile (aside from possibly a laugh), but it'll get me in the habit of blogging.
      Thanks for the tips, all.
Working...
X